In this village is located the Assembly House (Casa de Juntas) of Gernika, emblematic place for all Basque citizens, with the symbolic tree in its outside. Known as the “Tree of Gernika”, under which the ancient Biscayan laws (fueros) were drew up and where the Sirs of Biscay swore to respect them in order to become Castilian Kings. Nowadays, the Juntas Generales (general assemblies) of Biscay are there and the Lehendakari (President of the Basque Autonomy Community) and the general deputy of the province swear their posts.
In 1937 the village was totally destroyed by the German Legion Condor; send by Hitler, with the collaboration of the army of Franco. Just four hours were enough to demolish the village. These facts inspired Pablo Picasso to paint “Guernica”, a painting considered one of the most important of the XX Century. Nowadays, the monuments “ Gure Aitaren Etxea” of Eduardo Chillida and “ Large Figure in a Shelter” Herny Moore represent Gernika-Lumo as City of Peace, together with the Museum of Peace dedicated to the bombing suffered on the 26th April 1937.
Distance: 6km, around 5 minutes
– Assembly House and Tree of Gernika.
– Museum of Euskal Herria(Basque Country)
– Museum of Peace
– Monuments of Chillida and Henry Moore